The first skin project involved creating a piece that only used colors found in your personal skin palette. Skin part 2 involves expanding the meaning of “skin” and its connotations.
As usual it took me a while to come up with an idea. Eventually I decided to make a piece that plays with the idea of contrasting a leather jacket with a jacket made of “human skin.” When I was home for spring break, I took an old jacket that wasn’t being used anymore and cut it up, then taped it back together to fit my size. I then used 5 layers of paint on the exterior, and 2 on the interior to create flesh tone. I started the exterior with a layer of purple (1 whole tube), then a layer of mocha (1 whole tube), then 3 layers of flesh tone (1 whole small tube and 1 whole large tube).
The inside is 2 layers of brown and red paint. After finishing the paint job (which took 5ever), I re-cut up some parts and sewed them back together to create a more realistic look. Finally, I prepared fake blood to be smeared on the inside that would transfer over to the clothes I was wearing during the performance. Projects always change 50 times while you’re making them, and this was no exception. It started with the goal of a classy (maybe not the right word…) skin jacket you would buy at Macy’s, but then got demoted to Etsy, and finally to someone’s basement.
Skin Jacket – windbreaker, tape, thread, acrylic paint, fake flood
I knew I wanted a performative element to the piece, and I did follow through, but many of my comments during the critique alluded to not including a performance at all, and just to have the jacket hanging there. In the end I might agree, the performance did go well but it was much harder to get off with the fake blood in there! It took probably a minute to get out of the jacket, but that was actually good for the performance because it looked like I was crawling out of my skin (yuck!).
In the end, it was well received… and a big departure from my usual work for sure.