Drawing: Finale

I can’t believe how fast this first year of college has gone by. It feels like just yesterday I was struggling with the “100 gesture drawings” homework, and now I’ve had my final critique. That means that I’ve had my last ever fine art critique. It has been a rollercoaster of a year and my drawing professor will be one of my most missed.

In summary, I took the idea behind “scale it down” and made a scrapbook filled with 24 memories from the 2004 timeframe. The process of using dots to create an image is called stippling. There is standard sized polaroids, and standard sized “photos.” The polaroids took at least 1 hour each, with the photos taking at least 2. Altogether, the estimated total time spent is 36+ hours.

IMG_2901IMG_2902IMG_2903IMG_2904IMG_2905

Some pictures from my “performance,” where I went through the book and gave stories about some of the photos that are included.

unnamed.jpg

IMG_2940.jpg

Until next semester………..

Elements: Final

To create a piece that is self-referential. This could have multiple meanings, the work could reference the FACT that it IS artwork, or it could reference the maker. In the end I ended up going both ways and creating a piece that appears as if it is in the process of being made. It was a great project to end Elements, as it incorporates many aspects of old projects. Scissors, primary colors, paper…

IMG_2920IMG_2924IMG_2923IMG_2922IMG_2921IMG_2927IMG_2926IMG_2925IMG_2928

Intro to Graphic Design: Final

Design/Life Project:

For the month of March, we were to come up with some kind of regimen (writing how you feel when you wake up, sketching 1 thing a day, etc) and documenting it. I chose to learn a new french word each day, and create a calligraphic style for it in my notebook. Then, after the month was over, we were to create a webpage for it on our class’s Design/Life website. Feel free to check out the whole class’s work, as well as the class before us (located at the bottom, with blue backgrounds instead of orange). Mine is the last orange bubble on the top row (icon designed by me of course)!

designlifejournals.weebly.com

 

Art Matters: Final

For our Art Matters (art history) final, we were to create some kind of imaginary interpretive space for the work of art we chose to research at the beginning of the semester. I chose the “We Can Do It!” poster. An interpretive space would be somewhere that it can be presented that gives the viewer as much information and understanding of the work as possible.

So, for “We Can Do It!”, I thought about how the poster was hung in factories for only 2 weeks (as opposed to the common myth that it was used as a way to recruit women to work in factories). Eventually the idea of a fabricated “factory” environment came to mind, as it would be effective to show the real environment the poster was used for. Here’s an illustration I made to represent the idea:

kevin_wecandoit_concept2.jpg

We were also to develop a fancy title page, something that you would probably see on a brochure or sign promoting the exhibit.

kevin_wecandoit_concept.jpg